by Marie Kondo
- Kindle Book
- OverDrive Read
- EPUB eBook
From the book
Life truly begins only after you have put your house in order. That's why I've devoted most of my life to the study of tidying. I want to help as many people as possible tidy up once and for all. This doesn't mean, however, that you should just dump anything and everything. Far from it. Only when you know how to choose those things that spark joy can you attain your ideal lifestyle.
If you are confident that something brings you joy, keep it, regardless of what anyone else might say. Even if it isn't perfect, no matter how mundane it might be, when you use it with care and respect, you transform it into something priceless. As you repeat this selection process, you increase your sensitivity to joy. This not only acceler-ates your tidying pace but also hones your decision-making
capacity in all areas of life. Taking good care of your things leads to taking good care of yourself.
What sparks joy for you personally? And what doesn't?
The answers to these questions represent a major clue for getting to know yourself as a recipient of the gift of life. And I am convinced that the perspective we gain through this process represents the driving force that can make not only our lifestyle, but our very lives, shine.
Some people have told me that they had almost
nothing left after discarding those things that didn't spark joy and, at first, didn't know what to do. This reaction seems particularly common when people finish tidying their clothes. If it happens to you, don't be discouraged. The important thing is that you have noticed. The real tragedy is to live your entire life without anything that brings you joy and never even realize it. From the moment you finish tidying, you can begin to add a new zest to your home and to your life.
Only two skills are necessary to successfully put your house in order: the ability to keep what sparks joy and chuck the rest, and the ability to decide where to keep each thing you choose and always put it back in its place.
The important thing in tidying is not deciding what to discard but rather what you want to keep in your life. It is my hope that the magic of tidying will help you create a bright and joyful future.
About the Author-
- MARIE KONDO is the #1 New York Times best-selling author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (also a best seller in Japan, Germany, and the UK) and was named one of Time magazine's 100 Most Influential People of 2015. She is the founder of the KonMari Method.
- People ". . . the organization expert who dazzled the world with her Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up is back with more spirit-rousing advice."
- The Washington Post "Just in time to make good on your New Year's vow to get organized."
- ArchitecturalDigest.com "If the first book was merely an introduction to Kondo's radical philosophy, known as the KonMari method, the new one goes deep into the details . . . the result is inescapable: a home, and a vision of life, that truly sparks joy."
- MindBodyGreen "If you wanted more from her first book, this is what you've been waiting for."
- Los Angeles Times "In her new organizational how-to book, Kondo's mission is to help us identify what brings joy while simultaneously cultivating more of it."
- - The New York Times "Ms. Kondo delivers her tidy manifesto like a kind of Zen nanny, both hortatory and animistic."
- Jamie Lee Curtis, TIME ". . . a literal how-to-heave-ho, and I recommend it for anyone who struggles with the material excess of living in a privileged society. (Thanks to Ms. Kondo, I kiss my old socks goodbye.) ... To show you how serious my respect for Ms. Kondo is: if I ever get a tattoo, it will say, Spark Joy!"
- Buzzfeed "This book is a cult. A totally reasonable, scary cult that works, doesn't kill people (a bonus), but does drastically change your life. In this case -- for the better."
- PureWow "The most organized woman in the world."
- The Wall Street Journal ". . . her voice . . . is by turns stern and enchanted, like a fairy godmother for socks."
- In Style "I can only describe the way I felt afterward as an organizational high. I had a sense of being more in control of my life than I ever had before, which inspired me to maintain the order in the months that followed. Not bad for a Sunday afternoon."
- Good Housekeeping (UK) "All hail the new decluttering queen Marie Kondo, whose mess-busting bestseller has prompted a craze for tidying in homes across the world . . . one proper clear out is all you need for the rest of your life."
- TODAY.com "Kondo's method really can change your life -- if you let it."
- USA Today "Kondo challenges you to ask yourself whether each object you have is achieving a purpose. Is it propelling you forward or holding you in the past?"
Kindle BookRelease date:
OverDrive ReadRelease date:
EPUB eBookRelease date:
Digital Rights Information+
- Copyright Protection (DRM) required by the Publisher may be applied to this title to limit or prohibit printing or copying. File sharing or redistribution is prohibited. Your rights to access this material expire at the end of the lending period. Please see Important Notice about Copyrighted Materials for terms applicable to this content.
More titles may be available to you. Sign in now to see your library's full collection.